Morning air feels different than evening air. I don't know why, but morning air in the spring and summer, remind me of childhood; it brings out the sensory perception memories - feelings of places and times rather than memories of true happenings.
When I feel childhood sensory memories, it is from times spent in Illinois and Kentucky : the early morning air on my skin, that brush of humidity or fresh, brisk chill, walking in the fields, eating breakfast outside. The odd part is the majority of my life has been spent in Louisiana, yet it is the Louisiana mornings that trigger the sensory memories.
My parents split when I was 2. I spent my winters with my mother, a fairly conservative life, and the summers with my father in whatever hippy/beatnik living situation he happened to be in. We lived on a farm in Illinois and a farming commune in Kentucky. He converted an old school bus into a mobile home and loaded up five kids, a dog, and two adults into it and took cross-country road trips.
When I think of childhood, these are the things I remember.
When I feel childhood sensory memories, it is from times spent in Illinois and Kentucky : the early morning air on my skin, that brush of humidity or fresh, brisk chill, walking in the fields, eating breakfast outside. The odd part is the majority of my life has been spent in Louisiana, yet it is the Louisiana mornings that trigger the sensory memories.
My parents split when I was 2. I spent my winters with my mother, a fairly conservative life, and the summers with my father in whatever hippy/beatnik living situation he happened to be in. We lived on a farm in Illinois and a farming commune in Kentucky. He converted an old school bus into a mobile home and loaded up five kids, a dog, and two adults into it and took cross-country road trips.
When I think of childhood, these are the things I remember.







No comments:
Post a Comment